Saturday 8 February 2014

Studio Brief 1: Interim crit

My 5 designs (one design with two variations)




I asked four questions in the crit:
  1. Which is the strongest?
  2. The multiple eye design - which colours do you think could work with it?
  3. Which eye design is best out of the two variables? (large eye)
  4. Any other feedback?
Feedback is below.

Which is the strongest?:

One person said the eye pattern design is the strongest, and one person said the larger eye in black and white.
6 out of 8 people told me my flamingo design is my strongest, and was described as the following:
  • the natural pink colour suits well
  • clean
  • engaging
  • interesting
  • the detail makes it really unique
  • the contrast between the small amount of pink vs the white looks great
  • simple
  • stands out
  • grabs your attention
  • I have no idea of the reasoning behind it
  • is it the animal of Virginia?
I knew beforehand that most people wouldn't know the reasoning behind a flamingo unless they knew the song well, but this doesn't deter me from the design idea at all, because that could be applied to any song lyric being used in a design. I think that flamingos are captivating and intriguing.


The multiple eye design - which colours do you think could work with it?:
  • Only the irises could be coloured - natural colours just a little brighter than would be natural.
  • Turqoise
  • 4 people said to add no colour.

Which eye design is best out of the two variables? (large eye):
  • Black and white - 5 people
  • Red - 1 person
  • A horrible shade of pink has been used

Any other feedback?:
  • No idea of the reasonings behind the designs?
  • Experiment more with the flamingo, smaller, bigger. Make a pattern.
  • Don't like the photography, maybe make the flamingo a little smaller, and see what it looks like with a faint reflection? (water)
  • Experiment with colours on the eye designs. The dark red doesn't stand out against the black, and vice versa.
From the feedback I'm going to experiment with my compositions, especially with the flamingo as I want to make it more unique to me and also for the competition. I want to develop all of my designs not just one, but will probably use the flamingo design as my final sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment