Thursday 20 March 2014

Studio Brief 2: Publication - Initial ideas


Initial ideas:
  • key points taken from essay - question format? page for each?
  • white space being used as an effective technique - advertising? eg Fedex
  • expand on small area of essay - eg 'designers vs. artists'
  • fine art movements and design movements - how they tie together
  • production methods - art vs design
From these ideas, the ones I think are strongest are the first three above.


Key essay points

  • For this idea, I could simply name the publication "Fine art and graphic design: which do you find more valuable?" and make the reader ponder their thoughts about both practices.
  • I think it could possibly spark controversial debate, as I know that this topic is quite heated amongst some artists and designers. Art and design are seen as opposing forms of creativity, and often a designer will disvalue fine art, or an artist disvalue graphic design.
  • Not sure how much text I would include: simple statement or explain the argument?



Key essay points
  • For this idea I'd like to make a very simple publication with artists and designers. Each spread could have a designer and an artist, each with a page of their own.
  • Maybe I could even collaborate their work to make some layered work to make people think a little differently about what exactly art and design are.
  • Mostly image based.
  • The colour schemes throughout could be different for the artists and the designers, so it is clear which is which.

Negative space in graphic design
  • This idea comes from the FedEx logo that I analysed in my essay, which made me think that exploring a wider range of negative space may be interesting. 
  • I could expand on what I wrote in my essay about how it makes the graphics very memorable resulting in effective advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment