Sunday 3 November 2013

Studio Brief 4: Islam Converts and the prejudice they face

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/11/islam-converts-british-women-prejudice

My mother was disappointed and my father quietly accepting. Other members of my family felt betrayed.
It can attract negative attention from people who stereotype "visibly" Muslim women as oppressed or terrorist. It can also get positive reactions from the Muslim community.
My family were initially surprised, but accepted my conversion. After 9/11, however, my relationship with my sister-in-law changed and I am no longer welcome in their home. I have friends for whom my conversion is an accepted eccentricity, but I lost many superficial ones because of it. 
When the German media found out, a negative press campaign followed and within no time my contract was terminated. It was the end of my entertainment career.
When I converted, my father thought it was crazy, but he liked my husband; even so, he bought me a little flat so I "could always come back". My mother was shocked, horrified even.

No comments:

Post a Comment