Saturday 30 November 2013

Studio Brief 1: Interim crit


We were split into two groups and gave written critique to the other group who laid their work on tables. I like this style of crit, as I personally give more detailed feedback this way as opposed to in spoken crits. It's also really good to get so much feedback from a big group, as you can get a better overall idea of what the 'public' thinks of your work.
I gave feedback to 15-20 people, which was hard work but I gave critique on how good the concept of their ideas were, and how they could improve. Some people needed to do more detailed research. I found that it was easier to give feedback on actual digital mock ups of ideas, because its a lot clearer than sketches this way. I focused on people's weak points more than the strong points as I was limited for time and criticism is useful; compliments aren't. I found it useful even for myself to see everybody else's work, as it is refreshing and inspiring for my own work.
I laid out my sketchbook with my four concept ideas in it and wrote three questions:

  1. What target audience is best for these ideas so I can develop them accordingly?
  2. What concept is the strongest? Which could catch the eye of customers?
  3. Should I stick to focusing on image or should I use type more effectively? (any particular typefaces)
Useful feedback for question 1:
  • Embrace irony, I do like the cut outs. Your target audience seems teens/young adults who like a good ol cheeky joke.
  • Maybe play on the cliche and subvert the classic image adding something weird or sinister but funny to traditional family photos.
  • As you are doing a set of 3, you could make each one aim at a different market.
People mostly said that I should go for a target audience of young people that are around my age, judging from my concept ideas.


Useful feedback for question 2:

  • The cut out/silhouette image are the strongest, you could look at adding actual cut out marks to indicate that they should fill the gap with their own images.
  • The stickmen because it establishes an aesthetic and a jokey tone to match.
  • I like the idea of media within the watercolour/paint with type. I think it depends on the target audience you are looking at as to whether it would work.
  • I'm not sure people in general would be drawn towards the 'ironic' feel in the first page of frame backings? Could be considered slightly uncomfortable?
  • I like the outline idea. It gives off the idea that you have to insert the memory.
  • The outline idea is strong "insert your own scenery" almost or like its been left to be filled.
  • First concept as it could be inspiring and motivational for the audience making them want to fill the blank spaces.
The concept with the outlines of images seemed to be the most popular judging from my feedback, and it is also my favourite. I feel like the other concepts may be too try-hard with irony.
    Useful feedback for question 3:

    • Image alone works well for these, the stick men could be great with more personality, or is the lack of personality the joke?
    • I really think the image based one is strong and interesting. It definitely works at making an impact. Make it from layered coloured paper? Stick to flat, block colours.
    • Focusing on not personalising the frame designs is good, it entices the buyer much more because they see the potential there. I'm not so sure about the heart in '6 x 4' design though, it seems fairly generic.
    • Images work great by themselves. Extra text - something short and catchy could illustrate your point well.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment