Monday 7 December 2015

Practical // Development of ideas

Since my last tutorial with Amber, I have had some more ideas on my practical. When we discussed packaging an 'emotion' or something similar, this stood out to me.

I could package emotions according to how children perceive them; taking from my ongoing research. Using the manipulation I am researching, I could package these abstractions through supermarket product style packaging.



Although these could be interesting outcomes, what is the purpose? It would be difficult to create this and aim it at children. What would they gain? Something like emotion is difficult for children to understand.

It's also hard to communicate through graphic design the ups and downs of emotion, as even though some emotions are good and some are bad, they can all be valid depending on the situation. Yes, children do think some colours are linked to certain emotions, but would I be teaching them not to feel some emotions because they are bad and it is wrong to feel them?

This has led me to think that this would be complicated to execute, and I wouldn't be creating something that takes enough advantage of the research I am carrying out - creating something real that attempts to teach children something through the use of colour would.

-

I have then thought of using colour to promote good behaviour; something me and Amber discussed. We talked about making something that adults can use to bribe children - from this I have thought about making something that reminds children of good and bad behaviour. This is still on the abstract side of things - but is something children can utilise and (hopefully) learn from.

What behaviour could be included?


From watching the documentary 'The Life of 5/6/7 Year Olds' I have become very aware of certain traits in young children. They are constantly learning and making mistakes.
Perhaps some of these behaviours are a little too detailed for some children to understand - they should be simpler.


I could package each of these behaviours using 'positive' and 'negative' colours - all based on what I am researching. Could there be something inside to make it more rewarding for children to open certain boxes?

No comments:

Post a Comment