Tuesday 29 December 2015

Experimentation: Practical

Some experimentation I have done in Illustrator while playing around with practical ideas. I am trying out the idea of making packaging that is visually similar to that of confectionary and snack packaging, which I am looking at in my dissertation.


What kind of font is suitable for children? I've tried out various typefaces that are child friendly. Many kids' brands use rounded or quite thick sans serif letters. 




I first tried out Comfortaa, as the shape of the letters is very clear and yet playful. I used a dull green colour paired with brown letters: not enticing to children at all! I also added a rough smiley face to add to the dreariness.







In particular, I have looked at the Haribo starmix packaging that I am studying in my dissertation.


From this, I have tried to mimic the letters in some ways, such as the colour and the light bouncing off.


It makes for a very playful look and would be quite enticing for children.



I quite like this exploration, as the colours work well together and it has definitely come out similar to Haribo. 


I next tried some bolder letters. I looked at the packaging of Snickers.
I tried to mimic it using the font Clarke, the letters are very clear, bold and eye catching.



I searched for a download of the Lego font, but none seemed worth it. I took inspiration from the colour scheme and the use of outlined colour around the letters.



These experimentations proved difficult, and I have discovered that it may just be very confusing to children if the graphics look incredibly similar to well known brands.

No comments:

Post a Comment