Friday 27 November 2015

CoP Practical: Initial ideas/ Where am I?

I am nearly half way through my second chapter, so at this stage I need to be starting my practical work.

Dissertation title:
Is colour in branding and packaging for children manipulative?

My research:
  • Case studies of children's packaging
  • Statistics of colour perception
  • Brand theory
  • Communication theory
  • Marketing to children

Practical exploration points to consider:
  • I need to create something that reflects my research and is a new exploration. It needs to be based around children, colour and packaging.
  • However, if I want to make something that doesn't include packaging, I may need to change my dissertation title.
I am struggling to come up with an idea that is not going down the route of rebranding or repackaging something - I feel that this would not open any new doors.

Problem solving:
  • wider colour palette awareness for children (eg more than just primary colours)
  • colour free of social connotations
  • creating our own connotations with colour and symbols
  • packaging/branding that doesn't manipulate

Initial ideas:
  • interactive booklet with colour slots to colour in/ detachable colour palette - so children can decide the colour palette for themselves
  • rotating colour wheel with colours and key words/connotations - it could either be to help children figure out the connotations of colours, or to teach them that they are not set in stone/innocent.
  • food packaging that children can colour themselves
  • objects and features made up of unnatural colours to challenge the ideas of what colours mean
The idea of children colouring in food packaging is an interesting concept - children not falling prey to branding and marketing - but it would lack logical sense, as the manipulating of packaging is about being enticing in supermarkets etc. It would not be solving much as would the child be interested in something colourless to start with? 

A lot of my initial ideas include teaching children about colour connotations - but in my dissertation I am discovering that they have them in their mind already. This is too simple and not really attempting to change anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment