Friday 27 November 2015

CoP Practical // Crit

We had a crit for Extended Practice, but I also mentioned my practical ideas for context of practice.

What am I struggling with and need thoughts on?
I'm not sure where to take the practical side of it, and with what tone of voice or opinion to take.

I explained these ideas and thoughts:
  • One idea is an informative pack in the form of a packaged product that explains how colour can be used to make people feel things and buy things.
  • children could colour in and interact with it
  • encourage them to widen their knowledge of different colours other than the main primary colours
  • teach them that colour shouldn't be decided for them.
  • introduce a challenge, by making them think more about why they see things in a certain light, so that they can make more informed decisions.

Feedback summed up
  • use colour to entice children into something they don't usually want, like how the Green Giant sweetcorn adverts show how the green giant makes children want to eat vegetables to be strong like him.
An example: package vegetables in a colourful and enticing way, or medicine, or vitamins. In this sense, I could manipulate for GOOD from my knowledge instead of for consumerist reasons.
  • give children certain colours which they can overlap to make new colours. 
This could teach them about how colour is vast and we can control what we do with it, and what it means.
  • research into gender constructs and why blue is for boys and pink is for girls.
Although this is part of colour perception, it is something I have been trying to avoid in my dissertation, as it opens up a huge new subject. If I do touch on it, it will be skimmed over and amongst many other connotations.

From the feedback I received, what has stuck with me is using the manipulation I've learnt about, to create positive change in children. Some further ideas I have thought of:
  • package healthy food, medicine, vitamins etc.
  • make informative content that is in the form of supermarket packaging, but when opened has fun information inside, or a clay/knitted/toy fruit/veg/object that we are trying to persuade the kids to use/eat.
  • this could be something that changes how they see packaging for unhealthy food and items, and make them warm to healthier things.

No comments:

Post a Comment