Thursday 16 April 2015

Rebranding // Peace Party: Contact

I contacted the Peace Party via email to ask them a few questions. I wanted to find some information such as their target audience and supporters, and also how they felt about logo branding.
John Morris, one of their parliamentary candidates, answered as below.
1. Firstly, who would you say your main target audience is in terms of age range, class, location and so on? 
I believe that everyone should be our audience - everyone (with very few exceptions - and they are likely to need some form of care from the community) wants Peace
Here he is stating that they want to entice anyone and everyone to support them - which is quite obvious because they are desperate to become a mainstream party. Anybody that wants Peace will benefit from supporting them.
When I work on the rebranding, I will not try to target a specific group of people, which is often what is needed in the corporate world.

2. Out of the members and supporters you have, are they different to that of your target audience?(For eg. maybe you already have a strong group of supporters that are aged 40+ and you are trying to attract a young target audience)
Two of our four General Election candidates are younger than 30 or so.  I am confident we are now beginning to attract people across the full age range. 
I didn't get the answer I was looking for here, which would be how old most of the supporters are. But again, they are interested in catering to everybody. The fact that half of the candidates are under 30 is a sign that it is very young person friendly, such as the Green party has enticed a lot of student voters.

3. Any thoughts on visual identity in politics, or what you would want to strongly communicate in the most simplest logo or imagery?
We have always found this a problem area.  E.g. the "peace dove" lacks the strength of non-violence and real peace (and could be confused with the Lib Dem's fluttering bird) while the tied-off gun barrel is far too negative for me.  (It's easy to say what we don't like than what we do!)  Perhaps the word PEACE alone captures it?  Peace is what people should be DOING. 
Good luck with this aspect!  I hope we can pick your brains!
John seems to think that the logo they already have with just the word 'PEACE' is simple and communicative enough, but I disagree. If anything it definitely needs fine tuning.
By peace dove and 'tied-off gun barrel' he is referring to the symbols below:


I agree that the gun is too negative. The dove is very cliche and maybe too soft.
He brought up a good point about getting logos confused, which is something I should look into. Every political logo should be clear and concise against others.

This was a helpful way of doing research, as I heard it directly from them (essentially my client). I will use this info to further my research into rebranding their party.

No comments:

Post a Comment