Friday 25 April 2014

Studio Brief 4: Concertina research

I have chosen to do a concertina leaflet for a part of the package. It will have short quotes and advice in it, I want it to stay minimal with impact.



https://www.behance.net/gallery/12807627/Austrade-Brochure
I'm not at all keen on the colour scheme of this leaflet; it is very cold and reminds me of something to do with plumbers or companies similar to that. To me, the dark grey doesn't compliment the yellow at all. Why are the two middle pages grey? However, the infographics are clear and precise. The design is similar in that I want the type to be clear and bold and very readable, but I am not going to use images like this one has. I think it conveys it's information pretty well, it just isn't nice to look at.






https://www.behance.net/gallery/53834/2008-Calendar

The colours are very pretty on this design and the layout is nice and clear. I think that the type is very legible and clear, capital letters are definitely needed which is what I want to use. The last pages of just type catch my attention well as the words are very broken up, each having their own line. I think this can work in a small leaflet, depending on the style of sentence.




The bold colours in this are great as they are straightforward and simply done. I'm looking to use block colours for mine by using coloured stock, so this is quite inspiring. I think red and blue are successful colours to choose in this manner. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the etched design over the colours, it's messy but not in a good way - the colour of it dulls the whole design.





https://www.behance.net/gallery/11002859/Zine-a-Day-for-a-Week

These little leaflets aren't similar to what I'm working on at all but the different folds and colours used caught my eye. The mixture of palette works well because of the small size of the designs which are very amusing and enjoyable to look at.



https://www.behance.net/gallery/1120517/Savills-The-Cedars

This leaflet design is boring and is why I don't want to use white stock. something about small white leaflets with information stuck on them is quite offputting and dull, maybe because they remind me of boring information leaflets I received at school or at the doctors etc. It needs something to draw you in, instead of looking like its full of boring info.






https://www.behance.net/gallery/14284175/Full-Stop

I really like the style of this concertina and its definitely helped me to paint a picture of what mine could look like. The small amounts of information on each page make for a fun leaflet that is easy to flick through. Paired with small images it is cool looking. However, I'm not so sure about the mixture black with green and pink, but it is definitely eye catching.





https://www.behance.net/gallery/15082633/From-Pen-Strokes-to-Key-Strokes

This concertina design screams SAUL BASS which is why I like it. At first glance the colours used seem off putting but I think that with the very familiar design style it works very well. It has been very creatively made with different angles for the text and jagged shapes. It inspires me to be a bit more daring with composition, for sure.



https://www.behance.net/gallery/14853525/ISTD-Everything-About-One-Thing-Serendipity

This booklet is very dramatic looking and the front reminds me of a film poster. It seems like maybe there is too much information inside, depending on the size (but it seems quite small). I'm not a huge fan of black backgrounds with colour as I think its quite hard to look at and focus on when trying to take in the information.

From this interesting designs I have been inspired to use bright colours as my focus for my concertina, while making the type bold and readable.

No comments:

Post a Comment