Sunday 3 January 2016

Practical: Prototypes

As I have settled on the idea of multiple small boxes, the next step is to figure out what will work with the physical, finished products. I don't want the packaging to be fancy, just a simple cube with simple folding, as I am going to be printing and assembling 10 of them. I have found a cube template online to save myself time.


I have printed the template in different sizes and also edited the dimensions of it for a few prototypes to test out what will work.




The dimensions vary, but are generally around 6 and 7 centimetres. These sizes seem appropriate for children, as they are easy to hold in their hands, and big enough to show clear text inside.


Looking at these, I prefer the cube shape that is shorter than the full cube shapes - this means that when open the word can be easily seen as it is not too deep inside.


For this box, I sealed the edges using PVA glue. This deemed to be quite messy and didn't have a neat finish.


For this box, I used double sided tape - much stronger than glue and extremely neat.


I have tried out ways of sealing the box - making a slit etc seems effort that isn't worth it.



The box is able to shut with the normal edges, however I think I will make the lid edges larger so that the are easier to slot in the top of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment