Monday 4 January 2016

Practical // Colour and material research

As colour is the main element of this project, the colours need to be vibrant and accurate for the physical outcome. I at first thought about printing colours on paper as that is what happens with children's product packaging. However, it can be hard to trust printers and colour can change or come out wrong occasionally, so I thought using coloured paper may be a safer option.

G.F. Smith have a sample book that we have in the studio, so I browsed the colours and types of paper available for awhile.


The book has a wide range to look at, with all the different weights, so it was very helpful.


I found the paper type called 'Plike' to be very vibrant and smooth.


The dark colours also have the same vibrancy, just what I'm looking for.




Colorplan has a wide range of colours, but are a little less pigmented in colour. However, they have more colours to choose from so I aim to buy both types of paper to have a wider range of colour.

-

After back and forth emails and help from the G.F. Smith team, I ordered a wide range of colours in both Plike and Colorplan. These ranged from bright orange to plain browny-beige. I wanted enough colours for both negative boxes and positive boxes.




From my dissertation research, I gathered a lot of the emotional connotations that were found with certain colours. From this I used my own judgement to sort my 10 behaviours into appropriate colours.





Traits like dishonesty and rebellion were paired with dark green and dark brown - both colours children generally don't focus or get attracted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment