Monday 5 May 2014

Studio Brief 2: Development


I had many different design ideas for the book.

  • Alternate white stock with coloured stock throughout the pages - show creativity and to give it some colour.
  • rips in pages or front cover- to show that fine art is one-off and once damaged or destroyed it is permanently ruined.
  • black paper at the front and back of the publication
  • contrasting themes for each page - graphic design and fine art.
  • Grids for graphic design and acrylic paint for fine art
  • split pages so that each half is styled appropriately. - might become too cluttered?
  • Illustration of weighing scales on the front - to signify weighing the pros and cons of each practice.
  • splattered ink on pages to show fine art.
  • difference in typefaces depending on the statement/subject ... hand rendered for art and sans serif for graphic design - a really obvious typeface, like Helvetica.
  • For the book title, use a small concertina fold coming out of the front cover for 'graphic design' - this reflects how it is reproduced again and again. The phrase 'fine art' would be ripped out of the book. - This seemed excellent in theory but getting a rip right on the cover would be difficult to do. I could just cut a hole instead.



Layout ideas:
  • Smaller pages inbetween big pages with small text on them. either narrow or thin and wide pages. I tried out some of these with making prototypes to see what would work, and I would rather use pages that are slightly smaller so that they stand out against other pages that I might put inbetween them. I'd also like to use thin pages that go across the width of the spread with introductions on or something similar. - I'd like to do this so that it makes the book unique when it is opened, and so that imagery can go on plain pages, giving the small slips of paper a nice border when it is against bigger pages.
  • Layered pages, so that each one is smaller than the last and they have information on them. But this doesn't make much sense so I don't think I'll use this idea.



Above is the front cover I have painted using thick acrylic paint and brushes/pieces of card to spread it. This hopefully reflects fine art. However I don't know whether to cut it in half and only use half of it on the book cover as it is equally about graphic design as well. People have told me to leave it how it is because it looks really captivating and I shouldn't ruin it.


 This is a prototype of the layout. I want to use grey paper for imagery and off white smaller spreads for the text.


I have started cutting out boxes in the cover, so that the title can show through which is on the first page inside. I've found this quite hard to do by hand just using a scalpel.


I've chosen to paint the grey pages of the book in different creative ways to reflect 'fine art' and maybe make people form an opinion on whether it seems mindless and pointless or if it is something to be admired.

No comments:

Post a Comment